Sunday, May 29, 2011

Memorial Weekend

Well the weekend is not done by far but had some thoughts running through my head and thought it best to jot them down here.  Yesterday I ran with my 9 year old running buddy Samantha in the Girls on the Run 5k in Coldwater.  We finished in 32:45!  What a great accomplishment for this kid.  She listened to her coach and followed what was asked of her when it came to her training.  She told me "My coach says you have to have a pace."  "My coach says you run the first half of the race a little slower so you can finish fast."  Well this kid held her pace, she was breathing easy and was offended that people would "liter" by throwing their water cups on the road.  I had to explain that this is common in a race and that someone would pick them up after the race was done.  She did great and I hope she sticks with it because she is definately on runner to look out for.

Today I went for my long run, 12 miles.  What a nice 12 they were.  It was very humid and I don't know what weighed more my Fuel Belt or the humidity.  I started out easy and just fell into nice pace and finished my last 2-3 miles in a little bit faster pace.  I am following Hal Higdon's Half Marathon training program for advanced runners.  I have never gone wrong with Hal and I hope this plan gets me where I want to be at the end of June for Pictured Rocks.

Had a very interesting music playlist today and I only listen to music on long runs by the way.  I don't care for music during speed work or just daily maintence runs.  So anyway I had songs from the 70's, 80's and now.  I mixed up ABBA Dancing Queen, with some Twisted Sister and Boston and topped it off with Foster the People and some Coldplay. 

Tomorrow will just be a quick run around the country block and then a cook out at my parents.  The picture is of the Millpond in Concord along the Falling Water Trail I took the trail into Concord ran around the village and went back home down the trail.  It was just beautiful and peaceful this morning.  So happy I am able to partake in my favorite past time in such a beautiful place! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment