Monday, May 23, 2011

Weekend Follies

What a weekend!  Friday was a rest day and then Saturday morning I wake up and get ready to travel to Marshall for a 5k.  My goal was to get under 24 minutes since i am familiar with the course this year.  I had my new racing flats on, mighty light weight ones by Brooks, and I felt good during my warm up.  Hips were a little tight but they always seem to be so I stretched real good.

So waiting for the 9am start and it starts 9 minutes late.  I hate those people who insist to be in the front even though their pace is a like a 10 minute mile not that mine is all that fast but yeah i am running 2-2 1/2 minutes faster than you lady!!!  So anyway the horn blows and off we go down and around the fountain up Michigan and then we run up one street and get to the street the hospital is on and that is when the weirdest pain creeps up in my belly and rest between my belly and and my lower lungs I go by the first mile marker at 7:49 right where I want to be.  I continue on and up the long climb of the 2 mile marker I am at 16 minutes and say in my head "WTF" I felt like i was at the same pace but I had slowed down so now i kick it in and finish the last mile a little faster.  I finish in 24:40 and i am disappointed.  It was a good run except for that pain that hung in there up until the 2 mile marker.  Maybe that is why I slowed down or it could have been the fact that the guy in front of spit way up high in the air and all his "after spit" flew in my face.  A-Hole I shout in my head. 

But all in all I did not do to bad I am just not where I wanted to be.  So more speed work and pace work for me.  On the bright side I did get a free massage and a cherry Popsicle after the race!

On Sunday I went out to do 12 miles and if not for the song that came on my MP3 player Help is on the Way by Rise Against I don't know if I would have made it.  That song gave me the extra boost I needed right then.  I was a about 23 meters shy of 12 miles but whose counting! 

So now on to a new week with a quick run tonight and some strength training and then tomorrow 4x1600 at race pace.  Goal 1/2 marathon race pace for Pictured Rocks is 8:30.

So lets do this thing! DESTROY YESTERDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment