Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Joys of Summer Break

Summer break started this week for me.  The break is shorter now for me since I crossed over from teaching into administration this year.  No more beginning of June to the end of August off anymore, now it's end of June through the end of July off.  It's ok I used to get stir crazy by the first of August anyway.  Now on my 5-6 weeks off I can concentrate on my running more and i do not have to worry about planning or making things for next school year like I always did when I was a teacher.

I have been really working hard on speed work this summer and it is paying off!  Last night I finally ran under 24 minutes in a 5k!  My official time 23:34 my best yet as a Masters Runner!  I know I will never get those low 20's like back in the day and I am ok with that once I get below 23 minutes in a 5k I will be happy!  Last summer I was totally focused on my marathon and speed went by the wayside.  This year I only have 1/2 Marathons planned and it is much easier for me to add the speed work into my running schedule.

I also believe that being part of the Team MARATHON Bar has really enticed me to step it up.  The team is very encouraging and enthusiastic about running and that helps tremendously plus I want to do well in the Chicago Rock and Roll 1/2 in August since I will be representing Team MARATHON!

So far my summer break is going great I am gearing up for a trail run in the UP on the 4th of July and really looking forward to my trip to Montana to see my friend and run in some higher elevations!  July should be an exciting month!

No comments:

Post a Comment