Monday, October 24, 2011

Reflective Running:Live Strong!

I like to reflect on my day or the past week I have had when I run. Today I was reflecting upon the fact of how many truly sad preschoolers are coming to school these days. It breaks my heart to see them walk into the school with a blank look on their face. They go through the motions and then they go home. Not all are this way, but when you see one in each class in your center it really stands out. Early childhood is the time for learning, playing, investigating and exploring everything about the world around them. It is suppose to be fun! But when you have preschoolers coming to school wearing the burdens of their parents on their own sleeve you know society is messing up royally. We provide a consistent, warm and nurturing environment everyday. I just hope this will make a difference in their lives and they will eventually open up and a take a risk to get truly involved in the activities going on around them in the room. I wish I could take them all for a run each night with me and show them the joys of running and how it helps me get through my days, good and bad.

The other issue I reflected upon tonight was Ayden. Ayden is a 4 year old little boy who was in our Head Start program last fall. He was diagnosed with a form of high functioning autism and went into a special ed room this past summer. Just recently Ayden was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. It broke my heart to find this out.  This family has been through so much it makes you wonder why God tests people so much.  I want to help in some way so I am thinking I will run a 1/2 marathon or maybe a full marathon in the spring and raise money for Ayden's family.  I feel like if I combine my passion for running along with my passion for young children i think I can accomplish great things!!  I will think and reflect upon this some before i decide how i am going to go about all of it.  Ayden's mom has started a Facebook page called "Hope for Ayden" .  Like his page and follow his journey I will be following and praying for this little sweetheart and his family.  Live Strong Ayden!!

No comments:

Post a Comment