Saturday, June 9, 2012

Over Extending Myself?

Last weekend I ran the Dexter to Ann Arbor 1/2 marathon.  First time running this well organized event.  There was a nice race expo/packet pick up at Ann Arbor Pioneer High School right across the street from  the Big House! 

I went to the race with my friend Crissy.  We arrived in A2 about 7am and managed to get a parking spot on the 3 RD floor of the parking garage.  We gathered our gear up and heading for the buses that were waiting to transport runners from A2 to Dexter.  We arrived at Dexter High School and had a good hour wait before the gun would go off.  We ran into another runner from the Jackson area and passed time talking in the hallway.  Tons of porta potties and also flush able toilets inside the school!  I checked my long sleeved t shirt I wore that morning at the bag table to be transported back to the finish line.

The race started promptly at 8:30am, why the late start you ask?  Well we had to run over railroad tracks and I was told that the train comes through every Sunday morning by 7:30-8am so starting at 8:30am is safe!  That's good to know!

I have to tell you I felt amazing all the way through this race.  It had lots of rolling hills and a couple that made you really work hard to get up them.  Some people chose to walk up them but I plugged away working my arms to lift me up the hill.  I tried to stay in the shade as much as I could because the sun was HOT!  I normally try to straight line it, going from point to point in the race but for the first 2 miles it was pretty congested and after that I looked for shade!  So at the end of the run I had run 13.3 miles according to my Garmin and i was running 8:09 minute miles pretty consistently the whole way.  I was please with my race and my time I finished in 1:48:45 a new Masters PR for me!

After the race Crissy and I stayed and enjoyed the Taste of Ann Arbor that was going on.  We got some tasty food and had a nice time together.  This was Crissy's first 1/2 ever and she finished just under 2 hours in 1:59:58!!  The hill to the finish line was not so bad it was the last hill before that one about mile 11 I think that was a toughie!

So the following day at work about 12ish I experienced a "health scare".  My right arm went numb, turned a grayish white and the tips of my fingers were blue.  Fortunately many coworkers were around as well as the school nurse.  I could move my hand and fingers and slowly my coloring and feeling came back.  A coworker took me to the ER and they hooked me up to the heart monitor and to an IV they felt i was a little dehydrated.  I had an ultra sound done on my arm and neck, they checked for blood clots and took a look at my arteries.  They found nothing abnormal. I also experienced a warming sensation along with all of this that went down my arm, and up my neck and around my head and back down the left side of my neck.  I have a old shoulder injury I got back in high school my arm was ripped out of joint not all the way but enough to feel it and when I moved it, it went back in.  So now it gets sore and pops all the time.  So my doctor who i saw on Wednesday thinks it could be vascular so i go this Thursday for a MRA on neck to make sure blood is flowing to my brain.  He said something could have been pinched or cut off for the moment, but he wants to rule out the worst case scenario first and go from there.  I have ran since, I went out and ran on Tuesday and Wednesday, took Thursday off and rode my bike on Friday and went back out running today.  Today I ran a route with hills and I had to exert myself on those and i could feel it in my neck and shoulder and experienced the warming sensation again but nothing compared to what happened on Monday.  I think I over exerted myself in Sundays race and now it is time to step back and reflect upon the fact that I might have to hold back on the races and hardcore training and just enjoy my runs while i still can.  We will see time will tell, but one thing is for sure I am not getting any younger!!



No comments:

Post a Comment